blog content ©Cloud World Llc-all rights reserved

please note: some content is otherwise copyrighted, please contact us at:
info@maynarddixondoc.com to inquire about permissions.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Outdoor screening in Salt Lake City

It's been a busy summer, after an idyllic vacation in the Pacific Northwest, I flew to Salt Lake City for the first outdoor screening of Maynard Dixon Art and Spirit. The event was hosted by Williams Fine Art, The Salt Lake City Film Center and the UMFA Friends of Utah and Western Art, and Sam and Diane Stewart generously opened their home and glorious gardens for the many guests. That's the State Capitol building just beyond the screen, and when the sky grew dark, the lights from the dome we just breathtaking!


(l) me with Sam and Diane Stewart
(r) me with Clayton Williams, my friend and owner of Williams Fine Art.

This was the first time that the film had been shown outdoors, and I want to thank all the wizards who mastered the technical requirements, they did such a brilliant job. The film looked incredible projected on an inflatable wide screen. It was a beautiful, warm July night, with just enough breeze to keep everyone comfortable. And the sound was perfect! As always, I enjoyed meeting so many Dixon enthusiasts and met some people who attended not knowing very much about Maynard Dixon and his remarkable art. Everyone was enthusiastic and happy to be able to see some of the paintings from the film in the Stewart's impressive collection of art.

There were so many great people that I met during the evening! I was happy to meet Hal Cannon, the founder of the Cowboy Poetry Festival in Elko, Nevada. Now there's a documentary that I'd love to produce! It was also a pleasure to finally meet Geralyn Dreyfous, the director of the Salt Lake City Film Center. She is an award-winning
producer and a dynamic force in the Salt Lake City film scene. I'm very grateful for her efforts to bring this event together with the help of Diane Stewart, Clayton Williams and Donna Poulton. (right, me with Diane Stewart and Geralyn Dreyfous)


The following day, I was enjoying champagne on the patio at Sundance with my friend, Donna Poulton, who is Associate Curator of Utah and Western Art at the University of Utah's Museum of Fine Art. Donna recently co-authored the book, Painter's of Utah's Canyon's and Deserts. Thank you, Donna, for my first visit to Sundance when it wasn't covered with snow. It was just a heavenly day~
This has been a very memorable summer so far, next stop, the Bower's Museum in Orange County on August 1st. The fall schedule is filling up quickly, so stay tuned.

No comments: